Thursday, August 8, 2013

H2...Oh! Hydration Challenge!

       Ok, I promised myself that before the summer was over, I would do a post about good hydration, because ensuring you're well hydrated is just so darn important! The human body is comprised mostly of water, 70% to be exact! Just being slightly dehydrated can cause some serious problems - nausea, headache, foggy brain, muscle weakness, dry and sunken skin/lips, even syncope (that's the fancy name for fainting y'all).
       Also, I have found that it's a pretty safe assumption to say that a majority of us are not meeting our bodies need for water, let alone even know how much water we should be drinking.  Do you know the daily recommendation of water?

Quiz Yourself: What is the daily adequate intake of water?
                     (a) 8, 8 oz. glasses/day
                     (b) 3 liters for men, 2.2 liters for women
                     (c) just enough to not be thirsty
                     (d) 4, 12 oz. bottles a day

       The answer is (b), however, that amount increases slightly depending on a few other factors, such as exercise, environment, health conditions, illness, pregnancy and breast feeding.  For exercise lasting an hour or less, it's recommended that you drink an extra 1.5 to 2.5 cups of water. For extensive exercise, drinking a low-calorie sports drink is probably a good idea.  Just be mindful of the sugar!  What I like to do, is drink a watered-down version.  Half low-cal sports drink, half water, ice and a little slice of lemon is perfect for super hot days and replenishing electrolytes after a good sweat session.
      
Here are some quick tips to help make staying hydrated easier:
  • Drink a large glass of water, or a 24 oz. water bottle with breakfast, lunch, and dinner, plus   one between each meal.  If you weren't counting, that's a total of 5 a day.
  • For every caffeinated beverage and serving of alcohol you drink, drink an additional 8 oz. of water.  Caffeine and alcohol are dietetics, which means even though they are liquids, they don't count towards your total fluid intake, since they promote your body's production of urine, thus eliminating more water from your body. 
  • Try to make it a habit to always keep a bottle of water on you at all times.  This makes drinking water throughout the day easier since you always have access to it.
  • Always be sure to drink water or a low-calorie sports drink before, during and after physical activity.
  • On particular hot days during the summer, increase your normal fluid intake by a few cups or so. 
  • Sometimes drinking water is easier to do when it isn't ice cold.  If you're feeling particularly parched, opt for a glass of room temperature water, and you should find it's easier to drink a larger quantity.  I do this all the time, especially at restaurants.  I order my water sans ice cubes, and I always notice I end up drinking more than I would otherwise.  
       This week, I'm challenging myself to drink my allotted 2.2+ liters of water a day.  Join me!  Tell me how you stay hydrated in the comments, and if you join me in my challenge, how you felt. Did you notice a difference in how you felt/looked?   Bottoms up guys!


No comments:

Post a Comment