Monday, July 8, 2013

Recipe of the Month: Paleo Pancakes

Alright, I know...I dropped the ball for June's recipe of the month.  My bad, no excuse!  But I have a great, not to mention easy, recipe for July!

My pancake making station!
So, bananas are quickly becoming one of my favorite fruits. Why? They are SO versatile!  A few weeks ago, in the post "Healthy Treats to Beat the Heat", I posted the recipe for banana "ice cream", which wasn't ice cream at all, but puréed frozen bananas!  When I made it, I was floored how similar the texture was to soft serve ice cream.  Now, I have yet another bananas-only recipe, but this time we're making pancakes! See what I mean when I say bananas are probably the most versatile fruit ever?

Now I'm not following a Paleo diet, but I do try to limit my grain intake and I've found that most Paleo recipes are just bursting with all sorts of yummy nutritional value.  If you've never tried a Paleo or vegan, or even a vegetarian recipe, I challenge you to give one a try, and this pancake recipe is a great place to start.
Yummy!

Ingredients (Makes ~ 3 to 4 cakes)
2 small (6" to 6-7/8" long) ripe bananas
2  large eggs
pinch of salt
dash of cinnamon
non-stick oil of your choice, I used coconut oil
Optional: nuts, chocolate chips, blueberries, raisins, peanut butter, whatever kind of pancakes you feel like!

Directions
Mash the bananas in a small/medium bowl.  Add the eggs, and mix together until well blended. There will still be chunks of banana, that's OK.  Mix in the salt and cinnamon.  BAM! Your batter is done.  How easy-peasy is that?!

Heat a skillet over medium heat, and coat pan with your non-stick oil.  Once hot, spoon a few spoonfuls of batter onto your skillet, keeping the pancakes to 4" - 5" in diameter. Now is the time to add any of your mix-ins to the top of the pancake while it's cooking.  If you add it to the batter, they tend to sink to the bottom since the batter is so thin.

 
Now THAT'S what I call breakfast!

 I found these pancakes took a little bit longer to    cook than traditional pancakes, so just keep checking if they are ready to flip.  Once they seem sturdy enough to flip, flip away!  The second side never takes as long to cook, so keep an eye on them. Once they're done, plate and dig in!



Nutrition Facts (Batter only):                                
  Calories 322                                  
  Fat  10g                                                         
     Saturated  4g                                       
     Trans 0g                                                   
Cholesterol  422mg                                      
Sodium  142mg                                            
Total Carbs  46g                                          
     Fiber  6g                                             
     Sugar  24g                                          
Protein  14g                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment